Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I Never Saw It Coming



I saw the post on Fet about the upcoming episode on the OWN show Our America titled "Shades of Kink" which was due to air in our area on January 22.  This should be interesting.  How was commercial TV going to handle the subject of kink?  If networks like HBO were any indication, probably not very well, but it would be worth setting the DVR to record it and see how the show turned out.

In the meantime, Sir was working 16+-hour days six days a week.  He was under an enormous amount of pressure.  It wasn't surprising that we became like ships passing in the night.  The schedule was taking a toll on Him.  He was exhausted, but there was no alternative because He is one of the key people within the company He works for; it was going to have to let up soon.  When Sir was home, He was either sleeping or zoned out and I had no intention of asking Him to do anything.  Everything else was put on hold – at least for the time being. 

I did tell Sir about the show on OWN.  He was definitely interested, but we'd have to watch it together later; he would be working.  No problem.  I was going to watch it the night it aired.

I never saw it coming.

Honestly, I sat down to watch with the attitude that this was probably going to be a sensationalized reality train wreck.  I'm not a big TV watcher, so I was not at all familiar with Lisa Ling and the show Our America.  I was definitely not ever a follower of Oprah.  As the show began, I was pleasantly surprised.  The subject matter was treated with a great deal of respect.  Ling was very honest about her impressions, and her questions were relevant and well-considered.  The lead-in for the segment on Monica and Keith definitely caught my attention.  And what was this about a kink B&B? 

The segment began and I was watching with one eye.  In less than 30 seconds I was riveted.  As the segment played out I was actually stunned.  Even writing about it now, it's hard to find the words to describe what I was feeling right then.  As Monica spoke about having to manage details I felt something literally break loose inside my chest and I started to cry like I hadn't done in a long, long time.  When Mistress More spoke about what Monica would lose if she could not find it within herself to submit, I was completely overwhelmed.  I knew exactly how she felt. 

After the show was over and I managed to pull myself together, I went back and replayed that segment again.  This time, I took notes and listened very carefully to what was being said.  La Domaine?  Okay, I should be able to find some information on this place.  They had to have a website.  I mean, who doesn't have a website?  If they didn't have a website, they had to be on Fet and maybe even Facebook. 

It didn't take long to find the website and I was glued to the computer until I had read every single word on the site – twice.  There was one small piece of information that was not up on the website at that point; I didn't realize that the website was in the process of being completely revamped and wasn't quite finished. 

That Sunday, Sir and I watched the show together.  He knew I'd seen it and asked me about it.  I told him I thought the subject had been handled pretty well, especially for being on commercial television and having only 42 minutes of true airtime.  He was definitely interested in seeing it. 

I also mentioned La Domaine in passing.  A kink B&B.  What would they think of next?  Wouldn't that be an original vacation idea?  Oh, and honey, they have a 1250 square foot dungeon there.  You should see the pictures on the website.  Yeah, we'll have to check it out.

He enjoyed the show.  Sir is a fidgeter when he's watching TV.  When the segment with Monica and Keith came on I watched him out of the corner of my eye and He didn't move the entire time.  He didn't say much about it except to ask me if I had bookmarked the B&B's website.  Could we take a look at it?  Mental fist pump.  Yesssssss!

We had some fun checking out the website.  Sir liked the dungeon pictures, especially the slave cage.  The perfect place for bratty subs, he said, while looking right at me.  Um, no, I don't think so.  Gourmet food?  Dungeon at the disposal of the guests 24/7?  And they offered kink training?  It's in the Berkshires, a truly beautiful area.  The drive would be really pretty almost any time of year, particularly spring and fall.  This place had potential.  Well, let's file this away for future reference.  Maybe we could take a trip in the fall.  Nice drive, foliage and some kinky fun.  All righty, then. 

We mentally filed the information away for future consideration.  Vacation time was not on the table until we could find some break in the workload, but this La Domaine place was worth considering. 

Remember that little piece of information that wasn't up on the website yet? 

I'm also a reviewer for the BDSM Book Reviews site.  They were asking for volunteers because they had some new books up for review.  I checked out the list and found this book listed with the title "Master" by someone named Master R.  Interesting.  This was supposed to be the autobiography of an authentic BDSM Master.  Oh, yeah.  This went from "interesting" to the "probably can't put down" category.  This was also something I wanted in my library, so rather than wait for an ARC copy, I bought a copy, and sat down to what I hoped would be a great read. 

At the time I got the book, it had been about three weeks after "Shades of Kink" aired.  Life was still hectic and La Domaine had been pushed out of mind in favor of work, life in general and making sure Sir didn't work Himself to death.  As soon as this ginormous project at his company was over, He promised he was going to take some vacation time.  Good thing, too, and not a minute too soon. 

So, I start reading the book and it was not just interesting, it was good, really good.  It is the story of this BDSM Master's life told in a series of very well-written essays on subjects ranging from politics to sexuality and everything in between.  It is an enthralling peek into the mind of one of the most well-known and highly respected Masters in the BDSM community. 

Then I got what, to that point, was an amazing surprise.  This book was the autobiography of the Master who started and owns La Domaine Esemar.  The same Master who appeared in the "Shades of Kink" episode.  This was one of those "Holy Coincidence, Batman" moments.  Yes, it also tells the backstory of La Domaine.

Of course, I tell Sir about this great book and this "Twilight Zone" coincidence.  We shake our heads and He tells me he wants to read the book.  I don't know where he's going to find the time but, what the heck.  I load it on his Nook and figure it'll take him at least a year to read the book. 

Playing had been put on hold, pretty much out of the question, in favor of making sure Sir got some rest during his off time.  The project was winding down and I was even finding some breathing room.  Sir was getting home before I was asleep at night and I was no longer wondering about the identity of the stranger who was sleeping in my bed. 

Then right about the first or second week in March we sit down to supper together for the first time in quite a while.  The bomb fell something like this:

Sir:  "What's your schedule like about the middle of April?"
Me:  "I have some flexibility.  There are a couple of books in the pipeline, but I should be finished with them by then.  Wha'sup?"
Sir:  *blasé, spoken without even a smile*  "So, you still wanna head up to La Domaine?"
Fork drops on plate.
Me:  "You're kidding, right?  This is a joke, right?"
Sir:  Looking at me now.  "No, I'm not kidding.  I am taking you to La Domaine.  We'll need to confirm the dates for the weekend of the 19th.  They also want to do preliminary interviews of both of us.  I've put in for vacation time.  You still interested?"

Does the sun rise in the east?  Do bears poop in the woods?  Do dogs bark and cats meow?  Is water wet?  Oh, hell yeah, babe, I'm there and it's ON!

We were going to La Domaine Esemar!

Next:  Under the hands of Master and Mistress.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds terrific. Let us know how it goes...deets :)

    ReplyDelete